COBBOLD’S POINT, FELIXSTOWE
Originally a fisherman’s hut, Felixstowe Cottage was purchased by Philip Thickness when he was Lt. Governor of Languard Fort for £55. It later became the property of Lady Bateman and in 1844 it was rented from the then owner, Sir Samuel Fludyer, by John Chevallier Cobbold who subsequently purchased it. By 1882, when he died it was known as The Lodge and about this time the point became known as Cobbold’s Point. The property became severely threatened by the sea until substantial defences were built by Felix Thornley Cobbold. These groynes lasted over 100 years and have only recently been upgraded. The Trust has a small collection of post cards of Cobbold’s Point which we show with the best available estimate as to their dates. Not much changed between 1908 and 1947!